Join NEMA publishers from across the U.S., Mexico and Canada as they convene in the beautiful LGBT friendly Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (click here to read the press release). October 27, 28, 29 and 30, 2019 (with press trips to follow as the conference ends)
You must be current on your membership dues in order to register for the conference. Do not register if you are not sure. Dues are by calendar year, and if you have not paid in 2019, you are not current. Click on the “buy now” button below to pay your dues. Dues are $299 per year.
Questions or need to check on your dues status? Email Bill Gemmill, NEMA treasurer.
Click here to register for the conference and to pay the appropriate fees. (This will open up a ticketing page in EventBrite).
Click here to read about and purchase special NEMA group travel health insurance we’ve arranged through Guardian Insurance. If you are injured or hospitalized while in Mexico, you will be asked to pay for the services when they are provided unless you have this special travel health insurance.
In order to receive the special pricing that we’ve arranged with our hosts, your publication must be willing to provide (the below schedule does not include any additional coverage you may be asked to provide if you participate in one of the after conference press trips):
- One article on LGBT weddings at the Marriott and Westin (copy and art will be provided by NEMA)
- One full page ad promoting Puerto Vallarta (ad provided by Puerto Vallarta Tourism)
- One article on LGBT life in Puerto Vallarta (copy and art provided by NEMA) to be run in Oct. 2019
- One article on Puerto Vallarta travel (copy and art provided by PV tourism, edited at your discretion) to be run in Nov. or Dec. 2019.
Travel and Registration (registration is at your assigned hotel. A NEMA Representative will be on site to greet you).
Travel arrangements are up to you. Please see the “conference program” for suggestions on how to get to the hotel from the airport.
Publisher/Owner Opening Reception, at Marriott, sponsored by Marriott – @marriottpv
Publisher/Owner Opening Dinner, at Marriott, sponsored by Marriott – @marriottpv
Oct. 28: Conference opens (held at Marriott)
Publisher/Owner Cocktail Reception Hosted by Westin Hotel and Resort @westinpv
Dinner: Compliments of Top Sky Bar at Alamar Resort. (NEMA asks that you be prepared to help pay a gratuity amount).
Oct. 29: Day Two (held at Westin)
Publisher/Owner Cocktail Reception Hosted by Marriott @marriottpv
Dinner: Compliments of No Way José! Restaurant and Bar (No Way José! is offering a special menu – a 3-course meal with one cocktail. Any off-special-menu items and additional beverages you order, a separate check will be made for you at your expense. NEMA also asks that you be prepared to help pay a gratuity amount).
Oct. 30: Day Three (held at Marriott)
Conference Wrap Up
Hotel Checkout (respective hotel)
Press Trip to Guadalajara or Puerto Vallarta (limited spots for each and will be based on first come, first serve).
Oct. 30 to Nov. 2
Press Trips to Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara
These trips are being arranged by Fideicomiso de Turismo Puerto Vallarta and Jalisco Tourism Board in Guadalajara.
There is limited space for either trip.
These trips will begin after the NEMA Conference ends on Wednesday, Oct. 30. They are only open to NEMA member publications.
To apply for the Puerto Vallarta press trip, fill out this form
More information to come on the Guadalajara trip.
DO NOT FINALIZE YOUR TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS IF YOU PLAN ON DOING ONE OF THESE TRIPS UNTIL YOU CAN CONFIRM WHICH PRESS TRIP YOU PLAN ON DOING. Because, you’ll need to schedule your return flight from either Puerto Vallarta or Guadalajara.
Bob Witeck is president of Witeck Communications, Inc., and for nearly four decades a pioneering communications strategist dedicated to the advancement of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer communities around the world. He is a communications consultant, author, speaker and researcher. His firm – the longest established LGBTQ-owned business enterprise certified by the National LGBT Chamber of Commerce – is based in Washington, D.C.
Matt Skallerud, president of Pink Banana Media, specializes in LGBTQ online marketing, targeting gays & lesbians via content marketing, social media, programmatic ad banners, mobile smartphone apps and more. He also specializes in search engine optimization (SEO), keyword/search advertising (PPC) and social media analytics. He’s been in the LGBTQ online industry for over 20 years.
Jerry Cunningham is a former NEMA board member and owner and publisher of OutFront Magazine, a mainstay in Colorado’s LGBT community since 1976. Cunningham purchased the publication in 2012. He attended the University of Colorado in Boulder and has a degree in Business Management & Marketing from the University of Regis in Denver. Before taking the helm of Out Front, Jerry was the publicist for the City of Arvada, where he promoted the work and stagecraft produced at the largest multi-disciplinary arts organization in the nation — Arvada Center. Before that, he owned an event production and decor company, producing intimate social gatherings for his clientele, which ranged from Denver’s elite to fortune 500 corporations. He is also an amateur rodeo clown and has been active on the LGBT rodeo circuit for about 30 years. His partner of 20 years, J.C. McDonald, is also a rodeo cowboy.
(you must be a current NEMA member to receive these rates)
Click here to purchase
Publisher/Owner – $200
Ticket price includes:
– Hotel Room (for 1 to 4 people)
– Breakfast (for publisher/owner, Monday and Tuesday) (at conference meeting location)
– Lunch (for publisher/owner, Monday and Tuesday) (at conference meeting location)
– Conference Breaks (4 total – two on Monday and two on Tuesday) for publisher/owner
– Publishers opening cocktail reception on Sunday at Marriott (1)
– Publishers Dinner on Sunday at Marriott (1)
– Monday Publishers Cocktail Reception at Marriott (1)
– Tuesday Publishers Cocktail Reception at Westin (1)
– Tuesday night dinner at No Way José!
– Attendance at all conference sessions
Additional Attendee (per staff member, etc.) – $125
Ticket Price Includes
– Attendance to all conference sessions
– Breakfast on Monday and Tuesday for one additional attendee (at conference meeting location)
– Conference breaks for one additional attendee
– Lunch on Monday and Tuesday for one additional attendee (at conference meeting location)
– Tuesday night dinner at No Way José!
Additional Hotel Rooms ($105 per night, can hold up to four people)
Need more than the one hotel room that comes with the Publishers/Owner ticket?
Choose this option for additional rooms for conference dates ONLY – please indicate by the number of tickets how many rooms you will need.
Ticket price includes:
– Three nights (3) of hotel room arriving on Oct. 27 and leaving on Wednesday, Oct. 30. If you need dates before or after, please indicate.
Additional Hotel Rooms (before of after the conference)
Want to enjoy your stay before or after the conference?
We’ve arranged for a special rate of $89 plus tax (it works out to about $105 a night).